Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Product Review: Not a Plasma TV

After eagerly awaiting my ProWash Ferrari a few weeks ago and then being disappointed to find out that it was, in fact, a sports detergent, I vowed never to repeat that mistake again. So when someone from Nike promised to send me WIN to test out, I didn’t expect a Ferrari. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well, I won’t be fooled again.

I felt pretty excited to be receiving my WIN plasma TV to test out! I cleared out my old crappy LCD TV from it’s stand and awaited the arrival of my shinier new WIN. Imagine my surprise when, once again, a shoe box shaped package showed up on my door step.

Maybe this is one of those inflatable plasma TV’s, I thought. But inside was a blue bottle labeled WIN. Perhaps, like Aladdin, I just needed to rub the 21 ounce sides vigorously and a Genie would pop out in super high definition for my viewing pleasure.

I rubbed it’s sides like a teenager alone in the bathroom with a Martha Stewart Living.* I set the WIN on my TV stand. I pointed the remote and attempted to change channels.

Nothing. No Genie. No shows.

Granted, it still was as entertaining as The Bachelor but, ultimately, it appears I was duped again. Maybe – just maybe- this was another cleverly packaged sports detergent. The preponderance of the evidence, at least, suggested I didn’t get a plasma TV here.

Down to the laundry room it went. I just soiled some clothes that very afternoon so it was going to get its own work out right away. With trepidation, I tipped the bottle into the measuring cap keeping a careful eye out for a few episodes of The Office or Weeds that might come tumbling out. Keep hope alive, right? Nope. No shows. Just fluid.

I used WIN for three washes. I didn’t have anything particularly stanky outside my normal nostril curling run odor so I can’t say it was challenged with anything above regular channel surfing.

Keep in mind, I’m not a laundry maestro. I’m as adept at laundry as I am at cooking. That is to say, I’m at the laundry equivalent of fish sticks and waffles. So I judge based on my five senses…and price.

Taste: Yeah, so what? Like you don’t lick your clothes sometimes? It tasted fine. No complaints. Worth a lick.

Touch: My wicking clothes still felt wicky. That’s good.

Sound: They didn’t sound any different. They didn’t sound like angels singing either but I don’t believe that’s part of their marketing campaign.

Sight: They sure looked clean. I didn’t notice any lingering bloody nipple residue or hardened snot rockets.

Smell: This is interesting. The smell, when transitioning the clothes from the washer to the dryer, was horrendous. I can’t really describe it but it was unnatural somehow. Like Hitler’s armpits. But, by the time they were done drying, you magically couldn’t smell anything. In fact, the clothes smelled pretty fresh.

Overall, a solid product. Obviously, having just reviewed ProWash, it is natural to compare the two.

ProWash has a more detergenty smell throughout the entire process including the finished product. The clothes definitely smell like they’ve “been washed” the entire time. With WIN, you need to plug your nose for the washer-dryer transition but the finished product doesn’t have such a detergenty smell, which I prefer.

Overall, they both taste, touch, sound, and look about the same.

It appears WIN might be slightly cheaper per ounces as well. For a cheapskate like me, that’s a huge bonus!

Though neither of them drive like a Ferrari or view like a plasma TV, their differences generally come out in a wash.

Happy washing.

* Don’t judge.
_________________________________

5 miles last night @ an easy, snow accommodating 7:30 pace. Will the weather allow for 12 miles, per the schedule, this weekend? We shall see.

17 comments:

Ian said...

Sellout.

Kristina said...

Given the ubiquitous nature of these reviews lately, I'm sure there will soon be an award for Best Blog Review of a Sport Detergent. You'd WIN.

Marcy said...

I thought the same thing. I liked the ProWash better. But I wasn't going to say that. Just in case Win decided that they would drop off a plasma tv after my review :P

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Now what about the sixth sense? Do either of them allow you to see dead people?

jen said...

Nice post. Sorry about the TV.

I've read several of these reviews now and I'm sticking with my regular detergent.

nwgdc said...

I don't know if it's just my computer, but your new profile pic is a major improvement.

(it's a white square with a little red X in the upper left corner.)

Vava said...

I heard that Hitler was emphatically natural when it came to personal hygiene, which must have made his arm pits smell too natural for anyone's liking. Imagine the stench in that bunker!?! I maintain that THAT is why he finally ended his life, and not the fact that the Allies were coming.

Razz said...

What do you have against Hitler's armpits?

tfh said...

For the sake of your wife, I hope the free detergent keeps coming if it makes you more inclined to do your own laundry.

Unknown said...

Nice review. "Hitler's armpit" great description.

Aileen said...

I'm sticking with the Penguin wash, or whatever it's called. Of course, to do laundry, I'm going to needs a few things...namely quarters.

Marlene said...

you put your running clothes in the dryer??

anyway, thanks for the review

Anonymous said...

In the name of all that is good and holy, will you kindly STOP referring to 7:30 as an "easy" pace?

Unknown said...

Its better that I stick with Arm and Hammer Detergent. That thing rock! Sorry about the TV! I was too excited but that didn't work out for ya.

Meg said...

Doesn't that scare you that there is a nasty smell after washing but add some heat and it goes away? Hmmm...

Aron said...

i thought the same thing... smelled like nothing after - guess thats a good sign :)

sRod said...

"I rubbed it’s sides like a teenager alone in the bathroom with a Martha Stewart Living."

Did no one else read this? That simile is a piece of work. Well done. Those are chops that you only get from reading Don Quixote for 14 months.