Friday, January 16, 2009

Cold Metal Jacket

My snowman committed suicide this morning.

It's -14 degrees. School is cancelled due to "cold". Seriously. I stepped outside to retrieve something from my car and my snowman looked over mournfully and said, "I just can't take it. Sorry." And blew his head off.

On my way back in to call CSI: Snowman, I stomped my feet on the front deck and heard a loud POP POP POP! I ducked a bit thinking another snowman might be taking a few of us out with him in one of those "...before turning the gun on himself" stories you see in the news. Instead, it was just the nails popping and cracking on the other end of the plank of wood. Great. Another item on the Spring to do list.

Mrs. Nitmos and I have a set of snow shoes. Real nice ones, in fact. So nice that I feel guilty not using them as much as we should. We always talk about taking a trip up north and finding some trails to trudge around on but then we realize, you know, it's cold out. Who wants to walk around in the cold?

Already Mrs. Nitmos tolerates a lot with me dragging her to various races at ungodly hours on cold fall mornings. You'd think I wouldn't push the envelope right? Clearly, you haven't been reading this blog for long. One of my favorite things to do is see exactly how long folks will tolerate my behavior. And then push just a bit more.

The recent Runner's World had an article on snow shoe racing. For some reason, I had no idea this existed. Running and racing....in snow shoes? Oh, God, my calves ache in pure joy just thinking about it. Of course, I'll need special winter racing gear. Probably one of those awesome hooded one piece jump suits that the Olympic speed skaters wear (and an extra sock to ahem fill out the pants).

This is something I must check into. If I'm going to live in the arctic, might as well make the best of it right? Here's a link to a snow shoe racing organization for anyone interested. At least this would bridge the Fall and Spring running seasons and get us through the depressing suicidal snowman weeks!

I wonder, though, do they serve cups of hot chocolate at the aid stations? If you get hurt, do they wrap it in a heat pack?

Is there anything called a Snow Shoe Marathon?

Sorry, Mrs. Nitmos, but you bought the snow shoes for us. You should have seen the logical conclusion. Everything - everything - can be turned into a running event.

Now what did I do with the kids' pogo stick?

Happy trails.
_________________________________

Huge well wishes go out to Vanilla and RazZ running their first marathon this weekend. Also, in the same race, Kristina will be BQ-ing. Good luck, all!

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Too cold for school? It must be pretty darn cold.

nwgdc said...

School's been cancelled here that last 2 days. Wimps.
Snowshoeing is a lot of fun...but really a bigtime workout. It's the most fun if you're not on a trail, too. If you're on a trail, and the snow is packed down, and you could be moving faster in shoes without snowshoes...that gets old.

C said...

Even Snowmen can get S.A.D.? Damn.

I think Mother Nature cranked up the AC to see if she can freeze your giblets off. Go for a run and let us know what happens. ;)

Lily on the Road said...

(and an extra sock to ahem fill out the pants)!! I'm shocked! LOL...

Here is how we entertain ourselves in the winter :)

http://content.yudu.com/Library/Az0x2/OttawaOutdoorsMagazi/resources/28.htm

I can't believe they closed the schools, toughen up!!! LMAO

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I second nwgdc. In fact I openly mock the people who wear snow shoes on a packed down trail.

But really the winter sport I think would be the most fun to take up would be the biathlon. Hitting the local cross-country ski trails with a rifle slung across my back would be just awesome!

Michelle Simmons said...

I live in Hawaii. School is cancelled here today because it's just too windy. Seriously?

Melissa said...

I cancelled going in to work today because of cold. (And it's probably colder where you are.) I have my complexion to think about, you know.

And besides NYC is traumatized on account of the jetliner in the river and all. Sure glad I wasn't out there in that water yesterday.

Jess said...

It was -3 hear this morning. That is like the Arctic for D.C. My legs were numb by the time I walked from the Metro to my office.

B. Kramer said...

If I could feel my fingers enough to operate a trigger, I'd join you snowman.

Coachhrd said...

All schools in Iowa cancelled yesterday due to COLD! I can confirm, yes -- it is VERY COLD in the Midwest! No running outside for a few days.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Man, first Marcy then you not wishing Nic well on his indoor marathon! What did he do to p*ss off the Royalty of Teh Blogosphere?

My word verification = ballba, which I think is the technical name for that sock you stuff in your codpiece to make up for what God didn't give you.

Here's another obscure sport that I have a feeling you might be good at: Extreme Ironing.

Anonymous said...

My ex-coach used to race bikes on ice. Some people have way too much fun in cold weather.

Sun Runner said...

Oh, Nitmos...LOOKY HERE

tfh said...

Heaven forbid you use the snowshoes for a quiet, romantic, relaxed-pace amble in the winter wonderland with your rosy-cheeked wife.

Your snowman story reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes...

Unknown said...

What is this 'cold' you speak of?

Vava said...

This Nitmos goes to 11. When he needs that extra push, that extra little bit, and he's all the way up, all the way up at 10, where's he gonna go from there?

11. Exactly!

Mr. Petes said...

It's now the icy roads that affect my winter running, it is the freezing of my hands and feet! My brother recently tried running in snow shoes and said it really was no fun as he had a hard time moving forward. Anyways, I really enjoy reading your blog and wish you good luck in your winter runs. I have also started a running blog and hope you'll check it out:

www.RunnersWrite.com

Keep up the good runs!

Marlene said...

I was shivering at -14 CELSIUS today, so -14F?! No thank you.

I can't imagine racing/running in snow shoes OR the arctic. What kind of crazy people comes up with this stuff?

Aka Alice said...

What is it REALLY like in the Nitmos household with all of you indoors for extended periods of time?

Entertaining?

X-Country2 said...

LOL at the snowmen in your neighborhood. Hee!

I loved "cold days" growing up. No school, but you could still leave the house to go to the mall.

KimsRunning said...

Snowshoe races. Another oxymoron. When I was a kid growing up in Boston, we tied tennis racquets to our boots. I sprained my ankle.

Now I live in Eff Ell Ayyy....yeah baby!!! My kids have to pray for a hurricane to get outa school.

Aron said...

the weather is seriously crazy right now. record highs all week for us here in cali... record lows everywhere else?!?

Al's CL Reviews said...

School got cancelled here because it was 11 degrees. I cannot fathom what temps are up there.

Laura said...

Try here. And depending on the weather at that time of year, Antarctica can be done as a snowshoe marathon.

Nancy said...

I've said it before. That woman is a saint. She's probably taking the snow shoes back right now. :D

Anonymous said...

There is a snowshoe marathon in Vermont I almost did this year but the schedule didn't work out for me. But next year, I'm in if you are!

sRod said...

I'll leave the snow shoeing to you. I'm happy with my ice covered asphalt for now.

ZeroToBoston said...

Outside in shorts today. early spring flowers beginning to grow (really).

- Dean
www.zerotoboston.com