Thursday, July 31, 2008

5k Report: The Second Loser

Just poppin' in for a quick 5k report. I did, in fact, jump into a 5k at the last minute this past Sunday. I said "no, I'm not going to do it. " Then "yes, yes I will." Repeat that about 27 times in a 5 hour period until waiting until the last possible minute before registration closed. I believe I tossed my registration into the box just as they snapped it shut.

Good thing I did as the $25 registration fee ended up winning me a $45 steak house gift check in a random drawing. Bonus! And, just so you know, we splurged and went for the expensive steaks (i.e. further from the cows ass than what we normally get.) They were delicious (the steaks, of course.)

I'll be heading out on the lake now for some boating and tubing. I'm sure you'll all appreciate a quick report. The Fruit from My Anus 5k report got pretty self indulgent.

So, here it is:

Mile 1: 5:41
Mile 2: 6:08
Mile 3: 6:12
.11 miles: 37 seconds

It'd be nice -just once - to follow my pre-race "negative splits" action plan. It was rabid cheetah out of the shoot once again.

Numbers? Yes, numbers:

18:38 time
6:00 pace

3rd of 56 in my age group (i.e "second loser")
35th of 1188 overall
Chicked by 4 Ms. Ladies.

I netted a race coffee mug as a "prize". Hardly enough to satisfy my ego but it'll have to serve as my second SoS award and thus both of my children have now been replaced as planned!

Now back to my vacation, returning on Monday. I have labeled this my Fist Bump Vacation much to Mrs. Nitmos' chagrin. More on that later. Let's just say that, besides the exorbitant amounts of fist bumping I have been insisting on, I have executed my vacation plan to perfection. Eight hand selected virgins to massage by legs, arms, and temples. Two to toss a beach ball back and forth while I spray them with a garden hose. Yes, yes, it has all gone to plan.

Except the part where, upon ordering another post race 22 ounce beer, Mrs. Nitmos AGAIN challenge my deservedness (is this a word?). This time, I wasn't even the bridesmaid.

Happy trails...and Ill catch up with you all next week!

24 comments:

Wendy said...

Nice! Yours went much better than my craptastic 5k last night. Hmpf. Enjoy your vacay!

Anonymous said...

my toddler HEARTS your vacation.
she's all about the FIST BUMP.


M.

Marcy said...

Nice "positive splits"! (That's a 21 Days Jess term)

I hope Mrs Nitmos drowns you :P LOL JK!

Kevin said...

You must have been having some vivid dreams with all those virgins.

nwgdc said...

Where do you order your virgins? Our local store went under when Wal Mart opened a store last year and I haven't found a decent replacement yet.
Have a GREAT time!

Laura said...

Congratulations on kicking butt in that race! I can't believe you still got chicked with how fast you were going.

chia said...

You had me at beach ball...


...now where did I leave my virginity?

C said...

Virgins, huh? Let me guess, your daughter had a party so your 'massage' was actually just getting tackled and pushed around by a bunch of elementary school girls while they played around on the SlipNSlide.

You're a sick man, Nitmos.

Jess said...

Let's not lie...I'm all about the fist bump haha!

Congrats on the 5K..even though you were the second loser.

tfh said...

Well, maybe if you saved the 22 oz. beers for when you placed higher, you'd start running a little smarter, eh?

(Sez the gal who "followed" your sage 10k advice by doing my version of the rabid cheetah-- let's say a slightly wounded or elderly rabid cheetah-- for the first couple of miles.)

B. Kramer said...

fist bumping, sounds rather tame by your standards.

I'm surprized no one mentioned how I was dragging your good name through the mud on my blog. Huh? Oh well. Nevermind.

Kristina said...

You're so money and you don't even know it. Or steakhouse gift certificate--you're so gift certificate.

Ian said...

I love the fist bump. I try to do it in meetings at work, or the first time I meet a client.

I'm giving you a virtual fist bump right now.

Unknown said...

You know it's a good day when you win a steak house dinner from a 5K.

And 2nd loser to boot. Nice job.

jen said...

Wow, nice race. Congrats on the AG Place. Have a nice weekend!

Arron said...

nice positive splits. what i need to know is how many driving miles you logged for July and did you trip anyone? later.

Marci said...

Congrats on the 3rd place 5K loss!! Enjoy your vacation.

Viv said...

Great job, I know you call yourself the 2nd loser but you are awesome. Way to order up some sweeter meat..LOL!

Ms. V. said...

nice. I get so damned excited starting the race, that I'm exhausted by the first mile station.

Nice time. Have a great vacation.

Anonymous said...

Really? "Like a rabid cheetah out of the chute"? Poor Mrs. Nitmos.

Reluctant Runner said...

Hey cool I run a 6:00 pace, too. Unfortunately, it's 6:00/km...

Hhope you have a great vacation.

thebets said...

I was afraid you were going to start shooting whole cows out your anus...whew...glad to hear you won't be needing another trip to Oz.

Anonymous said...

A meal, a mug, 3rd place...sounds like a win-win-win. Nice job! -Erin

Grellan said...

Excellent 5k result for an undecided runner. Well done.

If you had committed more maybe a PB was on the cards.