Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I'm A SatC Guy

That’s right. Sue me.

Mrs. Nitmos and I are sans kids this week having deposited them deep in the woods at the grandparents in northern Michigan to do battle with ticks, fleas, Lyme disease, and banjo playing neighbors (squeal like a pig). That leaves the wife and I with extra amounts of time to get a few long neglected tasks done. So, we went to the movies.

I protested and muttered something about the other husbands getting to see Iron Man or The Hulk or, at least, reruns of the UFC on cable instead. No. We were to see Sex and the City. And now, just a few short hours later, I’m using the official fan abbreviation “SatC” (see title line).

Mrs. Nitmos was required to order the tickets. How could I stand there and say “two tickets – one being male - for Sex and the City please”? I’m certain some sort of siren would go off over my head. A voice would come over the theater loudspeaker “Barb, we need one of those MALE tickets for SatC pronto. They are in the back under a layer of dust next to the Tampex.”

Rounding the bend into the theater, I took one scan of the patrons. There were a dozen or so. A few other men with their wives. We exchanged the sheepish holding-the-purse-outside-of-the-dressing-room smile.

The lights went down. The plucky theme music came on. And for the next 2+ hours, I was absorbed into the life of four New York friends and their relationship turmoil.

I’m not proud of it. I had no desire to see Cynthia Nixon topless. That challenged my puke threshold. Sarah Jessica Parker has nice legs though. I wonder if she is a runner.

I sat. I watched. You know what? It wasn’t bad. There I said it. In fact, I’m going to punctuate that even further by placing a period after each word: It. Wasn’t. Bad.

So, I guess I’m a SatC guy now. This should come as no surprise to some of you after that embarrassing hoo-ha faux pas a few weeks back.

Now, time to get my, ahem, Manolo Blahniks back out of Mrs. Nitmos’ purse. I’ll be needing those.

Happy trails.
______________________________

Congratulations to fellow Steer Mike on his 10k age group win and subsequent retirement from the 35-39 age group.

Head over to RazZdoodle's to dump fartlek post ideas all over his sight. He likes it. He's sick that way.

And just because it's been awhile, I'd like to remind each of you that Vanilla smells of moldy cheese. Really, he does. Also, he's seen SatC 6 times and owns the box set.
______________________________

A tune-up last night for Saturday's 5k. I eased off the 800 repeats only doing 2 of them.

Total effort:

5.28 miles
35:08 time
6:39 pace

2 x 800 (400m cool downs): 2:46, 2:52.

26 comments:

Turi Becker said...

Guess I should be proud - I had to get into the second paragraph before I figured out what SatC was. I thought you had some hardcore new workout program...

Marcy said...

You need to some more brushing up with the ladies stuff. It's Tampax, homie! Did you do something horrible to Mrs Nitmos? My husband would never sit through that movie unless he was REALLY in the doghouse LOL

Kevin said...

All I can say is better you then me

Jess said...

Marcy's comment is cracking me up...and thanks for the reminder about Vanilla...I had begun to forget...lol

Teacher Pursuits said...

Forget the movie, what I'd like to know is... did you have to Google the correct spelling of Manolo Blahniks or did that just come to you?

Kristina said...

Wait a second--you know how to spell Manolo Blahnik but not Tampax? Have you been spending a little too much time at Bergdorf's and not enough time grocery shopping?
Your movie situation could have been worse; I made Brian watch a documentary about a font (Helvetica) a while back.

Lily on the Road said...

Kristina, crack me right up...LOL..I'm with Marcy, what DID you do to Mrs. Nitmos to have to sit through a Chick Flick???

Marci said...

Oh come on Nitmos, a part of you wanted to go see the movie right. Mrs. Nitmos just has great insight!
Good luck with your 5K this weekend.

Aron said...

that was the BEST movie ever :) glad you got to see it! you are an awesome husband for going :)

Jeff said...

Dude, you just dropped like 3 levels on the man-o-meter.

No doubt you're secretly Tivoing The Bachelor, too!

Razz said...

Wow. Another layer of Nitmos. Fantastic.

By the way, I'm a Bruins fan. No way in hell I can be an Avs fan. I'm still in denial that Bourque won a Stanley Cup with that transplant franchise.

Arron said...

please return you running man card until you find you manhood. thank you. later.

B. Kramer said...

Maybe it is a hoo-ha that you have after all.

Thanks for the link.

Ian said...

You know what the hardest part about being a Sex in the City fan is?

Having to tell your wife that you're gay.

Also, I do not smell of moldy cheese and I would never post an unprovoked attack against your blog. Quite frankly, I'm above that.

Tall Girl Running said...

We're sans kids this week as well while they're visiting Camp Grandpa and Grandma. I forced my husband to see "Hancock" with me. The poor bastard.

Kristina said...

Score! Thanks to the BAA, I now know who you are. Mwah, ha, ha. Does the G stand for Gaunt? Goofy? God-awful sarcasm? The possibilities are endless...

Unknown said...

Damn, I was wondering when that next sign of the Apocalypse was coming...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

C said...

You are brave for admitting to this especially with all the calls for your resignation from the man club.

Steve Stenzel said...

I have no desire to see Cynthia Nixon topless either, so thanks for the heads-up!!

;)

Meg said...

I hadn't gone back to check the hoo-ha post comments; it got me cracking up again!
Most of my guy friends that had to see SatC just pointed out how much female nudity was in it, and they got a few man points back.

Anonymous said...

huh.

I havent even seen it yet.

methinks that makes me not a woman.


M.

chia said...

Wow. Do you also get a special spice in your step when Pussycat Dolls comes on your iPod the third time during a long run?

Sorry ;-) but I'm even waiting for that to go on DVD. Wouldn't want my "angry ovary bearing militant urban cowgirl" membershit revoked.

Ms. V. said...

Great movie. The Cynthia Nixon scene was the worst part, I thought.

Has SJP always had those big white moles?

L*I*S*A said...

Don't really watch the show, but caught one episode that summed it up for this gal:

Carrie walks by a storefront, sees some Manolos and proclaims:

"Hello, lover."

sRod said...

I won't say that I don't occasionally turn on Sex and the City when nothing else is on. But I certainly was not going with my wife and her co-workers to see this movie.

Well done Nitmos. Hopefully, you got to watch many hours of ESPN on the big screen back home while downing a 12-pack.

audgepodge said...

Haha... you're a good sport because that was the ultimate chick flick! Hopefully you scored a lot of points for that one.