Friday, October 17, 2008

To C or Not To C

…that is the question.

The “c” word has been bedeviling me lately. Not lately. It’s been awhile. So…longly?

I don’t mean the “c” word in the traditional way you freaks think I mean ”c” word. Not the “c” word that makes men and women cringe upon hearing it. Women cringe with deep, heartfelt disgust. Men, of course, cringe in an outward socially acceptable manner to hide their inner snicker.

No, I’m talking about the other “c” word That Shall Not Be Named. This one feeds on normally healthy leg muscles and turns them into twisted, knotted strands of rotini pasta. If Wheaties is the breakfast of champions, this is the brunch of a code red marathoner.

This is the question for Sunday’s race. To “c” would, in short, suck. To not “c” would put my dreams of a triumphant stallion ride to Applebee’s within reach. To not “c” AND obliterate my PR would leave me considering self-immolation at the finish line because, really, what’s left to do? And how cool would that be?

Mrs. Nitmos is a glass half empty type and has vowed that we are leaving the gas can at home. Kill joy.

During my 17 mile warm-up for my 15k this Sunday, I’ll be constantly evaluating my hydration levels. The weather looks nice. It should be between 50-60 degrees and partly cloudy. This will be the coolest marathon I’ve run since May 2007. I’m more of a gas can half full type so, optimism!

If you think this post was slid in at the last minute just to garner another round of “Good lucks” prior to the race from everyone who already said that in a previous post, you might be right. Pretty sly wasn’t it? I might have another entry timed to release an hour after the marathon starts that says something like, “I’m running the race now and I just passed mile marker 8. I stopped to say Hi to everyone. Wish me luck.”, and then you’d feel obligated to put yet anotherGood luck” in the comments.

Or this post was merely a way for me to pretend that I read Shakespeare and know lots of quotes from his voluminous works but chose the most obvious one for your benefit, not mine. Since no one actually reads Shakespeare these days, I’ve found it’s pretty easy to google search a couple key quotes and character names and drop them into every day conversation so people really think I’m well read. I’m a bit like Iago that way. After all, I did just read Don Quixote over the course of 7 months, wind-aided.

I will not apologize for this shameless Shakespearean name dropping or comment pandering. I am Falstaffian.

The training went well…the weather conditions are near perfect. I’m looking forward to, at the very least, a fun race on Sunday. Anyone got a light?

Otherwise, it’ll be me making that cringe face because of the “c” word.

Happy trails.
_________________________________

As always, special thanks and gratitude to the lovely and patient Mrs. Nitmos, frequent reader but infrequent commentator, and the kids for tolerating another marathon training season. You are the pelvic bone on which these legs twirl (no? not a good metaphor?)

43 comments:

Marlene said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there's more where that came from.

Ian said...

I already said it once. I'm not saying it again.

Wendy said...

I'm a sucker...

GOOD LUCK!!!

Sun Runner said...

Fun, dammit. FUN!

I'd say "see you there" but with 5,000 people in the race, that's doubtful. But just in case I'll be the one with the crazy headband hanging near the 3:45 pace group (but not "with" since I am my own runner and follow no one's lead. Except for maybe St. Garmin's).

Marcy said...

Pffftt you don't need luck now. You're already proven a kick ass runner. Go get em! Applebee's is waiting!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I was going to second vanilla and refuse to say again, until I looked back and realized that instead of saying good luck on the last post, I just wrote a long rambling comment that was all about me.

Oops, I did it again.

Good luck!

audgepodge said...

GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to hear about it. Good luck to Mrs. Nitmos, too, as I hope she survives the upcoming spooning attack.

tfh said...

Yeah. I was actually gonna say something about the c-word in my last comment, but I'm pretty superstitious, and also I'm pretty sure they attacked you during your last training run (or one of the last, too lazy to scroll down), which is always a good sign. In any case, I've heard that randomly shouting out the OTHER c-word during a marathon can keep them at bay.

After seeing the miles and paces you put in, I hardly feel you even need my "Good luck." But GOOD LUCK for now, for the eighth and eighteenth mile of the race and esp. for the war of posts-- may it come later in the race, and pass more quickly, than you expect.

C said...

Good luck!!! And congrats to the Nitmos family for surviving yet another of your marathon seasons. Amazing accomplishment.

Now kick some ass!

Unknown said...

Best wishes this weekend. Run like you stole something!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I'm easy.

Good luck, Nitmos!

Or, as Shakespeare put it:

"Monster, I do smell all horse-piss; at which my nose is in great indignation."

It's obviously applicable to urban marathon-running. If you can't draw inpsiration from that, you are beyond the help of Shakespeare. You are dead inside. Try Danielle Steel instead.

Spike said...

I am done wishing you good luck, I'll just hope things go well!

Laura said...

I must be a total idiot, because I can't for the life of me figure out what "c" means in relation to running. Someone help me here!

Oh yeah, good luck Nitmos :)

Lily on the Road said...

Have a blast, leave the Llamas alone and as always, Mrs. Nitmos, you are an Angel!!!

;^)

Jennifer Burgett said...

Best of luck this weekend!

Unknown said...

Now this is a good time to KICK ASS !!! GOOD LUCK and don't swell on the "C".

Kitzzy said...

Good luck!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

I will have none of this C word you speak of. Keep the optimisim on the forefront, think happily and you'll kick ass (like you always do:P)

You'll be pretty close to canada. I'll send good vibes over the water.

Teacher Pursuits said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teacher Pursuits said...

Heres to a C-word free 26.2!!!! Unless of course c is referring to colorful or cool or crazy... cuz if those elements aren't included, your race report could be a bag of hurt. ;)

Vava said...

You don't need any luck - just run, damn it! Run Forrest Ruuuuuuunnnnnnnn!!!!!

The Laminator said...

C's be damned. Nitmos is going to show you who's boss. Go crazy and have fun, N.

Kristina said...

Bonne merde, by which I mean "good luck," not "have a good BM before the race." Though I suppose that'd be helpful, too.
Either way, give Detroit something to cheer for.

Adam Dunn said...

Have a great race. I can't wait for the "Shirtless Horseman Raids Local Applebee's" story on the evening news. No pressure or anything, but don't let me down.

RunToTheFinish said...

May the force be with you... as in the whole fire department force in case you need to be hydrated and hosed down to prevent that horrid c word

Stuart said...

Here's to no C's and an A race!

Anonymous said...

Nitmos,

Here are some words of wisdom for you...be

Careful to hydrate well
Rest tonight
Always listen to Garmin (p.b.t.n.)
Marathons should be fun, remember this
Pee before the race, not during
Shoot the back puss mountian off your back as you round the final turn to give you an extra boost of speed

Anonymous said...

Would you believe me if i said that the nonsense word verification thingie spelled out "cramp"? Well, it didn't, but that would have been pretty cool, huh? ;)
Good luck, already.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm looking forward to your race report.

Anonymous said...

Pop that pimple dammit!

Al's CL Reviews said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Aileen said...

I'll wish you good luck again anyway, so you can stockpile. You can thank me later.

I do heart Falstaff...mostly because he is in so many of the histories.

Jeff said...

Good luck. . . AGAIN!

KimsRunning said...

Good luck Nitmos!! I know you'll do us proud!!!!!

joyRuN said...

Oh fine. Good luck! (Again)

Unknown said...

I must need more koffee (notise how I'm not even using the forbidden letter?) -- you totally got me with the "17-mile warmup for my 15K". I had to double tsheque (okay -- THAT was a tough one) the date for the marathon. Then the gears in my mind started kranking. You big silly!

Oh and kique some serious azz!

Ms. V. said...

[from Run, Fat Boy, Run]

for Mrs. Nitmos:

Dennis: [surprised] What are you doing here?
Mr. Ghoshdashtidar: I'm the assistant coach.
Dennis: How'd you get to be assistant coach?
Mr. Ghoshdashtidar: Because I have the spatula!
[whacks Dennis with it]

Run like hell, Nitmos!

chia said...

Good luck Nitmos!!!

Jess said...

Good luck! Can't wait for the race report!

Meg said...

I'm a little late, but I'm excited to read your report! The weather was gorgeous this morning, I bet it was great marathon weather.

Shoe Running said...

2 good lucks are better than 1!
Cheers dude!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

ok so you've had approximately 20hrs rest. i demand a race report!!
:)
in the nicest possible way

Anonymous said...

So how did you do?!