Thursday, April 17, 2008

BEAAARDDDDSLEY! BEAAARDDDDSLEY!


I’ve done the training. Slowly, at first, my head wasn’t in it until Mrs. Nitmos gave me a pep talk. Then I refocused and trained my ass off for 3 hard, intense minutes set to an 80’s pop-rock song. That should be enough time. I’m ready. I’ve crumpled the picture of Beardsley that was stuck in my bathroom mirror. I have the Eye of the Cheetah (much, much faster than the lame, slow as molasses Tiger).

I even beat Carl Weathers in a foot race. And I like to wear yellow shirts.



It’s off to Boston tomorrow (Friday) morning. That is, if my flight isn’t canceled. Geesh, airline carriers, do you need to be TOLD by the FAA to performed standard maintenance on your planes? You won’t just do it yourself? Are you 3 years old?

The plan is to get to Boston early and go into immediate full blown tourist mode for the next 36 hours. This includes many national historic sites and a stop by the Bull & Finch, the #1 cheeseball tourist schtick in Boston. I’m sorry but I loved Cheers. For many years, I wanted to be Norm. I strived for it but ended up more of a Clavin, so, you know, life didn’t turn out exactly as I dreamed. Saturday morning will also be race check-in at the expo. It won’t be crowded right? Right? What?

Sunday will be a day of rest, introspection, and continuing to rub all things shamrocky in appearance. Oh, and shitting. I take a pre-race bowel mover so I’ll be doing a lot of that introspecting on the toilet.

Monday, of course, the marathon itself! I may or may not be posting between now and the race. We’ll see how much contempt I have for you.

I think I’m prepared to do battle with the Beardsley Monster.
I think I’m gonna love me some Newton Hills.
I know I’m going to love the sight of that finish line.

Dun Dun Dun dun-dun-dun
Dun Dun Dan, Dun Dun Daaa

Dun Dun Dunt Dun Dun Dunt
Dun Dun Dant Dun Dun Daaaa


That’s harder than it looks (theme to Rocky). Probably would have been easier just to clip in an audio file.

If you see me walking around, feel free to say Hi. I’m hard to miss. I usually either have my finger in my nose or am scratching my rear. Or both. I’ll probably be the guy doing that who also looks very confused and disoriented (Schwimmered! Zing!) Also, I have a distinctly “Michigan” appearance. On race day, I should have some sort of Steers LDP insignia somewhere on me.

Mrs. Nitmos and I will be haunting:
-Hyatt Regency Boston
-Friday night Bull & Finch?
-Saturday morning expo
-Saturday afternoon at random sightseeing stops

Post race? Not sure yet but we don’t fly home til Tuesday morning. Beer will be consumed in a yet to be determined location Monday night though.

In case I don’t post again, I encourage you to send positive thoughts out to all runners Monday between 10 and 4 or so ET. I’ll consider this a sort of open thread in the comments. Call it a Virtual Race Cheerleading Section. I WILL receive the message on the race course. I’m that clever. Please keep it positive (I’m looking at you Vanilla). If I receive a thought wishing a bowel movement on me, you better be prepared to send along physical toilet paper as well.

Visit the Boston Marathon website for live in stream split updates as the race goes on. If I slow horribly in the 18-21 mile range, you’ll know Beardsley got me. And I’m not the Rocky I was hoping for but more the Apollo Creed in the Drago match up (think all charismatic-y, red white and blue-y, and dead-y minus the charisma and the red,white and blue). I hope you’ve seen the Rocky flicks or this is making no sense.

Bib #5962, ready to roll.
__________________________________________

By the way, you don't realize how long it took me to find that Rocky on the mountain top photo from Rocky IV online. Really, I'm behind in all my work assignments while searching for it. I found it! It's all worth it...I'm fired? What do you mean "fired"??

Also, besides next week's race report, I'm also working up a profile on my favorite sitcom side character, Mr. Roper. You don't want to miss that. I hope to complete my thoughts on that during the marathon.

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK.

stumbled upon yer blog via crabby (your comment made me laugh)

off to peruse...


M.

Lily on the Road said...

You KNOW you're prepared to do battle with the Beardsley Monster.

You KNOW you're gonna love me some Newton Hills.

You KNOW you're going to love the sight of that finish line.

You ARE SO READY!!

I'll be cheering for you via "Cheers" GO, CLIFF CLAVIN, GO!!!

Have a blast, Rock Boston, like it's never been rocked before!!!

Ps. Loved Rocky, so my vintage....

Have a GREAT TIME (literally)...

;D

Anonymous said...

Nitmos, I wish you the best.

Enjoy your time away from the kids and don't sleep in on Monday morning.

Do you want to post your cell phone number and we can all call you at 5am so you don't miss the race?

I am looking forward to hearing about your sub 3:20 marathon. You should have great weather!

Don't forget to pack band aids, your running shoes (check 12 times) and that great Steers gear.

-tange

Sun Runner said...

Also, I have a distinctly “Michigan” appearance.

Would that be...glowingly pale? Almost translucent?

Don't forget sunscreen!

And good luck!!

Mir said...

Good luck!! I will add you to my runner tracking list. I have quite a list this year. Hopefully next year I will be on someone else's list.

This is the one...you're gonna do great!

Ian said...

You're going to be reading comments during the race? I'll be here for you with a "wow, was that a twinge in your knee?" and a "your legs must feel like lead weights right now." That's just the kind of guy I am.

Tri+Umph said...

Don't forget a courtesy flush during your day long bowel movement.

Good luck!

Ian said...

Okay, I'm not going to really do that, even I'm not that mean.

KimsRunning said...

Good luck Nitmos!!! I'll be watching for you on the web!! I hope you love Boston. Tell Boston Kim says hi and I'm gonna get there someday too!!! Have a great time, love every minute of it!!!!

And thank you for the words of encouragement. It helps a lot.

PS. Is the guy with the Hello Kitty bandaids running too? And will he leave his shirt at home???....LOL

Unknown said...

As long as you avoid the nut-hugger shorts that he wore, you'll be ok.

Are you going to check out the Women's Trials on Sunday? Should be a great race.

MissAllycat said...

Good Luck, Nitmos! On Monday I'll be stalking you like a lion stalks a warthog. Yeah, you're the warthog in this scenario. :)

L*I*S*A said...

Good luck, Nitmos. You'll do a great job, I'm sure.

sRod said...

Waaaaa Hoooo--I'll be cheering you on...from my desk...in New York. Have a great time out there, remember to stretch, and if nothing else, always think "it doesn't hurt that bad."

Topher said...

I'm excited for you! You're going to do great. Funny story about Cheers!, though. When I was in Boston several years ago with a friend to attend a career fair, we wanted to go to Cheers for dinner. We got turned around but knew we were close. Hopeing to not seem like tourists, we were asking everyone how to get to the Bull & Finch. No one knew what we were talking about. Plus if we were "natives" we shouldn't need to ask directions, right? It was only when we finally said "Cheers! We're looking for Cheers!" did we get help. I got the feeling everyone there calls it Cheers, too.

Nancy said...

Have a great time and good luck. I'll be thinking about you!

B. Kramer said...

Does this mean I have to wish you good luck again?

Razz said...

go kick some Beardsley ass. I'd click on the link to figure out what that meant, but I'm on break.

Frayed Laces said...

You're totally going to rock the casbah. Make sure to kiss those Wellsely girls, and show HBH who's boss.

E said...

Good luck!

Kristina said...

Have a great one! And just to prepare you for th Bull & Finch--it doesn't really resemble the Cheers set and the food can be mediocre. But I understand the desire to check it out. On the other nights, try Stefanie's on Newbury or if you want a worthwhile shlep to Davis Square, go to Redbones. Good luck!

Marcy said...

Dude you're gonna rock out! Fo sho! (Do I get any points for that? Any? What about negative points? I'll take those :P)

C said...

Good luck in Boston! And I second Kristina's recommendation above of Redbones. Damn good bbq.

nwgdc said...

GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK! Wear gloves, and if you need toilet paper, just use the gloves. Take them off your hand first, though. And don't put them back on.

Anonymous said...

GO NITMOS GO!!!!!!!

- Dean
www.zerotoboston.com

Aron said...

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! you will do GREAT!!! have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know the title to your last post made me laugh out loud. My coworkers were not amused. You can just stop that being amusing stuff /any/ time now... before you get me into trouble at work!

p.s. Good luck!

The Laminator said...

I think the Beardsly monster has nothing on you and your training. I hope you have lots of fun on the course and run a great race. Will be checking up on you on Monday. Go Nitmos!

Stuart said...

Hopefully not the same finger...I ain't never gonna shake your hand!

Have a good one tame the beast and kill the hills, see you on the other side.

Arron said...

good luck. and rock it reall good.

as for rocky. you know that scene in rocky three on the beach is one of the top 5 all time gay undertone scenes in a movie. seriously. not that is anything wrong with that. im just saying. later.

thebets said...

Congrats Nitmos! I will most definitely be sending you happy, non-chaffing, poop-free runner thoughts! Can't wait to read about how it goes!

Scott said...

Good luck in Boston!!

Russ said...

nitmos, a special dedication on my website...far better than cheesy 80s pop songs...i'm sure you will do fine...while you are suffering (err...basking in the glory) in boston, i'll be thinking of you on beer #2 while on vacation on hhi.

btw, back in the saddle of running down here.

Eric Gervase said...

Sweet. Congrats and good luck tomorrow. I hate to imagine the introspecting your doing right now.

Anonymous said...

I think Nitmos should have given Vanilla "guest writer" privleges and he could write a blow by blow of the Life of Nitmos Starting Monday morning, through the finish line.

-tange

Triseverance said...

Enjoy Boston and Yo Adrian, He did it!! Looking forward to hearing about the race.

Ian said...

Looking good, Billy Ray!
Feeling good, Louis!

Keep it up Nitmos. I hope you're channeling your inner Rocky:

Dun Dun Dun dun-dun-dun
Dun Dun Dan, Dun Dun Daaa.

MissAllycat said...

I sending positive thoughts riiiiight.......NOW. I'm tracking you online - you're looking strong! Keep it up!

Ian said...

Also tracking you online. Finish strong Nitmos! Go! Go! Go!

Anonymous said...

Someone just called on Dick Beardsley's ghost to tackle Nitmos.

It is getting tough out there for him.

-tange

sRod said...

Looks like our positive thinking couldn't keep Beardsley at bay.

Marcy said...

CONGRATS homie! ;D ;D You know I had to stalk you, just so I could learn your name and do evil deeds with it LOL JK!

Ian said...

Now that you've finished can I resume my negative comments and taunting?

Great Job Nitmos! You're still faster than I am, even carrying Dick Beardsley's ghost on your back. ;)

KimsRunning said...

NITMOS!! Great job! Fantastic run. I can't wait to get all the details!!!!

Kim

Laura said...

I had a big "Go Nitmos Go!" sign around mile 24, but no one seemed to give me any kind of recognition so I will assume you didn't see it. (I also had a "J-Money 3:16" sign that was not seen, so I'm wondering if I was at the right race or if there was some other fake marathon going on in Boston). In any case, congratulations on the sub-4 finish and glad that you had a fantastic day for a run! Looking forward to a full report.

nwgdc said...

wAY TO GO NITMOS! CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!

The 311 Boys Mom said...

Congrats on Boston!!

I think you did great. I've peeped in onyou before & JUST realized we're neighbors.....well, in the same state at least.

I have to ask & I"ll ask Lisa (GL Marathon); but WHAT Is the Steers Project?????

I even tried googling it.