Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Run, Fatboy, Run

First and foremost, yesterday was one of those runs that kicked ass. It was over 40 degrees and might as well have been 70 degrees for all I knew. Any break - even just 10 degrees above the norm - feels like a heat wave. I busted out content to simply shake the legs out after Sunday's LR. But I started loosening real quick and turned it into a Limbo Run (i.e. how low can you go?) to beat the previous mile. I love these kinds of runs. I stopped after 5 miles - that was the plan - but actually felt I could have gone even lower for mile 6.

5.0 miles
35:47 time
7:10 pace

Descending mile times of 7:34, 7:20, 7:17, 7:04, 6:33.

When reviewing this data on Garmin, I became warm and tingly. In fact, I didn't even bother to stuff Garmin back into the drawer afterwards. Seemed cruel somehow. Instead, I propped it up on a pillow next to me, tucking it in ever so gently past the first wrist strap, and let it watch some TV. I placed a Cheeto next to him but he wasn't hungry. Little fella wasn't hungry.

It felt great to leave the North Face bionic jacket at home also and opt for the lighter wind jacket. The bionic jacket is great in cold, windy weather. You never feel either. After a long winter though, it starts to feel like this:


I caught a commercial for a movie coming out that may appeal to the running crowd: Run, Fatboy, Run. Probably one of those 2 week in the theatre, quick release to DVD types as it doesn't have much broad appeal. However, it looks kinda amusing. Comedy, marathon running. It stars the same guy from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz so, you know, you should be aware of what you are getting into.



Plus, I always find it amusing when the word "fatboy" is used. Same with "akimbo" and "persnickety". Amongst many others, these are money words for me.

Happy trails.

8 comments:

Ian said...

"I placed a Cheeto next to him but he wasn't hungry."

That was dumb... everyone knows that Garmins prefer Pringles to Cheetos. Once you pop, you can't stop.

Tri+Umph said...

Nice run, I'm going to steal that idea pretty soon!

I'm also a big fan of taking in the Garmin data after a great run. Sure, we're just some guys looking at a watch at that point, but how many people get to see the numbers we look at after a run? Not many.

Sun Runner said...

For my workout yesterday I went out dressed only in my base layer shirt and one shirt over that. NO JACKET! (oh and of course I was also wearing tights. Duh.) It was 41 degrees in Chelsea and you are right, it might as well have been 65 or 70 because that's how warm it felt and the SUN was actually shining...but the track was still completely snowed over so I ran up and down the same street 14 times and I'm sure the people in the neighborhood and the two kids out delivering newspapers must have though I was a complete nutjob, but you know, I just could NOT handle through though of running on the dreadmill ONE MORE TIME.

Nancy said...

Looks like Vanilla is working on the nemesis thing. :D

I thought the Cheeto was hilarious. Shows you how much I know. hee hee.

NICE FREAKING RUN. my word.

nwgdc said...

at first i thought that you had taken your garmin to bed with you and tucked it in on the pillow next to you, and i was going to make fun of you. but then i realized you were watching tv, so that's totally cool with me.

sRod said...

I'm more excited about this running movie than the one about the Chicago marathon. i think it's going to be hilarious.

Bob A said...

Nice 5-miler with seriously negative splits -- ending with a 6:33? You left me after mile 3. I crave those runs that leave me fully satisfied and ready for more. My 10K race yesterday was like that.

Bob A (RVA)

Fun Guv said...

Mike just saw the trailer to this movie at the beginning of Martian Child and now he's obsessed...must go see it! I'll admit, it does look pretty funny.