Monday, October 29, 2007

Double Header

For most runners, I doubt it's any big deal to hit the pavement two days in a row. Even 3,4,5,6 or more days straight. For me, it's not very common. I tend to follow a run one day, rest the next day, run the next, rest, etc. pattern. Typically, I only run 3 days a week. There are a couple of reasons for this but it all boils down to the fact that I don't have enough time in the day (or week) to spend running 5 or 6 nights as much as I might want to. So, three nights a week is pretty typical.

With the Disney Goofy Challenge looming, I figure I need to get the ol' legs in condition to handle the pounding they are going to take. This was my first of several planned back to back weekend days of running. Only 6 miles (Saturday) and 9.5 miles (Sunday) but I wanted to start slow lest we have any problems with the groin or hamstring - both of which are still reminding me that they didn't enjoy the Chicago Marathon!

Overall, I would say it was a success. I felt pretty good. I could feel the aforementioned muscles groups starting to tighten up by the end of my 9+ miler on Sunday but, considering that is the farthest I've run since Chicago, I was okay with that.

I'm looking to get a copy of Run Less, Run Faster soon. From what I've heard of this study, it sounds like a fit with my own training technique. I'd love to see an "official" study backing it up. As I mentioned, I only run 3 days a week. Due to this, I tend to push a bit harder figuring my schedule contains a lot of down time to rest fatigued muscles as it is. Frankly, this "philosophy" - if you want to call it that - has come about purely by accident through my schedule and my own simmering competitive need to run to a level which satisfies me. When I first started marathon training, I felt like I was wasting training days by going at a pace a minute or more slower than my typical comfortably hard pace. Of course, I know there are multiple running coaches out there just waiting to correct me on this mistake in my training plan but, for me, it's what I mentally need.

So, it would be neat to see what this new book says. Running less but running faster sounds to good to be true.

The plan going forward is to do back to back weekend runs with steadily increasing mileage about every 3rd week through December. I think that'll be enough preparation.

After all, I'd hate to be pulled from the marathon course by a paramedic wearing Mickey Mouse ears.

5 comments:

Russ said...

interesting that my plan is going in exactly the opposite direction as i feel i need to build my aerobic base...i have heard good things about the FIRST method, but note that you are supposed to cross train on two other days during the week...but hey it seems to be working for you!!! good luck

L*I*S*A said...

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's working for you, stick with it.

I'm going to shop around for my next training plan, but I have heard great things about the FIRST plan.

Mir said...

Hey, Don Quixote! I'm reading that too. I'm kind of stalled because it's my "work" book that I read on breaks and we've been busy lately. Are you enjoying it?

Good luck with your plan. I think it's probably a good idea to get used to running back to back weekend days!

Nancy said...

I'd like to hear more when you get there. I am 3 - 4 times per week because of my feet (especially when I get to higher miles). I've heard lots of people say their best races have been on 3 days a week running. Now, I just have to learn how to push myself a little. I don't think I am very good at that.

Arron said...

sounds like you are on the right track. i knocked out 6 days (5 running 1 riding) in a row last week and loved it. my mileage is less then yours though. i just enjoy being active. later.