Friday, January 12, 2007

Goofy Challenge Here I Come

Okay, I sucked it up and paid the ridiculous entry fee for the 2008 Disney World Marathon (the picture shows 2007 - they don't have their 2008 logo up yet!?) which takes place exactly one year from today. A little early to be placing a registration, right? A lot can happen in a year and I've already committed to this race. And at a non-refundable, exorbitant fee also. I must be nuts. That fee HURT.

However, we are pretty confident that we will be meeting this commitment. When I say "we", of course, I mean my wife and family. It's not too hard to convince them to take a trip to Florida. My son will be having his 10th birthday during the week leading up to the marathon so why not make it a big event...for him and for me.
Still, that fee HURT.

Also, since I signed up for the Goofy Challenge (half marathon on January 12th and full marathon on January 13th) I wanted to get my registration in early as it is limited to 3,000 entrants and it fills up. I don't know when...but I don't want to be on the outside looking in. If I'm going all the way to Florida...pulling the kids out of school for a week...spending the cash...might as well do the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge right? How often will we make this trip? Not often..if ever again.
Because...that fee really, really HURT.

So, that brings my tally to 2 marathons registered for over the next 12 months. I want to do 3. I'm looking for one more registration in the September-October time frame. Chicago is always a possibility (and fits nicely into the calendar). So is the Detroit Marathon late October. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...still time to consider these. I have a list of around 15 marathons I'd like to do. I really didn't want to run the same marathon a second time until I worked through my list once. But Chicago was really fun.

Anyone else looking at Disney 2008? (OUCH!)


Garou said...

Yeah, the fee for the Goofy is pretty steep, but so are their fees for both the marathon and the half-marathon. I signed for it the first day it opened for 2008 - I could have done it that first year, but wussed out b/c I hadn't run a marathon at that point.

Anyway, good luck with it.

L*I*S*A said...

I'm sure you can talk Mike into the Goofy challenge. He's been talking about it for a while now.

UltraMM said...

I have signed up for my 3rd Goofy a couple of weeks ago. Last year it filled on June 13 and it is already 85% full this year. It will fill this week.

Visit my website to see lots of reports & photos(300 from myself alone from this years Goofy) from runners all over the US.

BTW, please send along your report & photos next year!

Good training,