Friday, January 12, 2007

Goofy Challenge Here I Come


Okay, I sucked it up and paid the ridiculous entry fee for the 2008 Disney World Marathon (the picture shows 2007 - they don't have their 2008 logo up yet!?) which takes place exactly one year from today. A little early to be placing a registration, right? A lot can happen in a year and I've already committed to this race. And at a non-refundable, exorbitant fee also. I must be nuts. That fee HURT.

However, we are pretty confident that we will be meeting this commitment. When I say "we", of course, I mean my wife and family. It's not too hard to convince them to take a trip to Florida. My son will be having his 10th birthday during the week leading up to the marathon so why not make it a big event...for him and for me.
Still, that fee HURT.

Also, since I signed up for the Goofy Challenge (half marathon on January 12th and full marathon on January 13th) I wanted to get my registration in early as it is limited to 3,000 entrants and it fills up. I don't know when...but I don't want to be on the outside looking in. If I'm going all the way to Florida...pulling the kids out of school for a week...spending the cash...might as well do the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge right? How often will we make this trip? Not often..if ever again.
Because...that fee really, really HURT.

So, that brings my tally to 2 marathons registered for over the next 12 months. I want to do 3. I'm looking for one more registration in the September-October time frame. Chicago is always a possibility (and fits nicely into the calendar). So is the Detroit Marathon late October. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...still time to consider these. I have a list of around 15 marathons I'd like to do. I really didn't want to run the same marathon a second time until I worked through my list once. But Chicago was really fun.

Anyone else looking at Disney 2008? (OUCH!)

3 comments:

Garou said...

Yeah, the fee for the Goofy is pretty steep, but so are their fees for both the marathon and the half-marathon. I signed for it the first day it opened for 2008 - I could have done it that first year, but wussed out b/c I hadn't run a marathon at that point.

Anyway, good luck with it.

L*I*S*A said...

I'm sure you can talk Mike into the Goofy challenge. He's been talking about it for a while now.

Panda Defiance said...

I have signed up for my 3rd Goofy a couple of weeks ago. Last year it filled on June 13 and it is already 85% full this year. It will fill this week.

Visit my website http://www.DisneyRunning.com to see lots of reports & photos(300 from myself alone from this years Goofy) from runners all over the US.

BTW, please send along your report & photos next year!

Good training,

Robert
Robert@DisneyRunning.com