My wish list for 2008 includes:
- Run a solid sub 3:30 at the Boston Marathon. I'd like to do better but, with muscles needing to heal after the Goofy Challenge, snow/ice for half my training schedule, and only 12 weeks to prepare, I would be content with this time. Plus, my last two marathons have bombed out due to cramping issues. Let's just finish. On the run. Okay?
- Sprinkle in a few 5k's this year. Hit speed training hard this spring and summer. Set a new 5k PR with an eye toward breaking 19 minutes.
- Refocus my marathon goals. I feel like I've been adrift since the Bayshore Marathon in May 2007. I hit 3:12. I qualified for Boston. Now what? I haven't had a singular goal driving me forward since then. I'm going to go ahead and state one now. 3:10. I want to beat 3:10. I will focus my energies this year on setting a new 5k and marathon PR.
- Research, study, learn, internalize, live new methods for injury prevention. This may involve better stretching, conditioning, diet and/or all of the above. I feel worn down. I feel like my training approach needs some tweaking. So tweaking I will do.
So when and where will I test these goals? How will I measure the results? I have these races on my tentative calendar. Besides Boston, I haven't actually signed up for any of them as of yet.
- Boston Marathon (April)
- Bayshore Half Marathon (Traverse City, MI - May)
- Traverse City Cherry Festival 5K (July)
- The Crim 10 Mile (Flint, MI - August)
- Dances with Dirt 50K Ultra Trail race (Hell, MI - September) **
- Detroit Marathon (November)
I'm sure this list will change but that's the plan as of now.
** Only if I'm feeling really stupid some morning and run out and sign up. I would have to be really, phenomenally idiotic to do this. Really, unfathomably stupid. Not smart.