Thursday, July 26, 2007

Need for Speed Returns!

After last week's near gut spewing incident on the high school track, I was a bit leery at first with my second post-Bayshore attempt at speed work. The conditions were basically the same. Hot. Muggy. Except there was a slight cooling breeze this time.

Again, I managed only 2 miles worth of repeats proceeded and followed by a 1.5 mile jog. this time, the total mile time for my repeats was closer to 6:24. I didn't feel like puking, so, thumbs up. I'd love to get my mile times closer to 6:00 by the end of the year if possible. I am thinking I may make a return to some 5k racing next year and would love to get under the 19 minute mark. We'll see. That's on the back burner for now.

I'm still experiencing a pain in my left heel that is very sharp at first but recedes after about a mile to the point were I barely notice it. My right hamstring is a little sore also. I remember that it was at about this point in the spring while training for Bayshore when I started experiencing various aches and pains. I'm starting to increase the mileage while mixing in some maxed out repeats. I'm sure these annoyances are just part of the joy of running.

I'll be getting some miles in at a one mile circular track in Traverse City over the next week. I'll try not to get dizzy and fall down on my planned 16 miler.

Happy trails.

4 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

I give you credit.

I'd rather have someone poke my eye out with a sharpened pencil than run around a track enough times to equate 16 miles.

You da man.

Russ said...

the only thing i could think of that is worth is doing 16 miles on a treadmill which my old boss once did!

Mike said...

it's not so bad. It's a mile trail in a city park. There's plenty to see, but to do it sixteen times, ugh.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Enjoy reading your posts. Great training. Most people would kill to run your pace. I'm also running Chicago, but I won't be keeping up with you. Keep up the great posting and running.