Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Exhale

This has been one of the busiest past few weeks in recent memory. Between work, travel, running, yard work, etc. it has been non-stop GO. Consequently, all of the hilariously irreverent anecdotes I had saved up for various blog entries have washed from memory and you're left with just a run-of-the-mill update. Time to exhale for a bit.

Recently, I completed The Road by Cormac McCarthy. My first from this author. It's your standard apocalyptic tale of lost hope and vanished dreams in a barren landscape. However, the two main characters - a nameless man and his child - and their relationship while existing in this bleak world is wonderfully crafted. His prose is simple and direct with short Hemingwayesque sentences. I really enjoyed the way the author conveyed the strong emotions between the two with very little description or effort. I'd give it a B+ if you are scoring at home (which I am).

Secondly, I finished Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killers by James L. Swanson. I really enjoyed this book. It's history on the fly told in a fast pace, energetic style. History is typically among the least favorite classes for any student but this was a heart pounding read even though you know the outcome in advance. Like most, I was familiar with the general details of the Lincoln assassination. To step right into an hour-by-hour, day-by-day account of the hunt put you right at the scene. It was fascinating. A wrong turn here and there cost Booth his escape and living glory in the South. It almost happened. You'll learn more than you would think. Did you know the Lincoln assassination was part of a plot to topple the Union government in one evening with Grant, V.P. Johnson, and Sec of State Seward all targeted that fateful evening? Grade: A

Running Update:

I'm a bit behind my ambitious Higdon Intermediate II schedule but still in a good shape. I've been putting in about 3-4 less miles per week than he would like. I am not concerned. I feel like I'm right where I want to be. No goal yet for Chicago. I may have one shortly though. I'd like to see how Mike is doing so we can work together towards his BQ.

Tonight I'm going out for my first true "speed work" effort. I usually do that fartlek style but I'm actually going to the local high school track this time to give it a try.

Sunday's LR:

10 miles
7:07 pace

Until next time...

No comments: