Saturday, June 02, 2007

Bayshore Wrap-Up

Final thoughts on Bayshore...

A terrific race. Plain and simple. I have two marathon experiences...the large, crowded, high adrenalin of the Chicago Marathon and the small, scenic Bayshore Marathon. They are both special in their own way.

Bayshore was great because...

It was less crowded.

The course was beautiful...like a long, slow scenic drive along some of the best bay front views in Northern Michigan.

The technical race shirt is very usable and appealing.

The finisher's medal is solid and, frankly, better than Chicago's.

The volunteers were tremendously motivated to make this a great experience and deserve a round of applause.

My hometown...

...and I qualified for Boston!!


Final Numbers:

88th of 1292 finisher's overall.
14th of 111 finisher's in my age group.
1:33 first half marathon/ 1:39 second half. Both better than expected.

Mike and I pre-race:
Finishing (above)....barely able to stand still to have my timing chip removed (below)...
Smiles with the kids in the stands afterwards. My wife is taking the picture and I wish I had one loaded on my PC right now that included her. Next update perhaps.

I have a hotel reserved in downtown Boston....just waiting for the registration to open in September. Hope to see other familiar faces there! (hint, hint)

2 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Hate to disappoint, but I won't be one of the familiar faces in Beantown! I'd have to morph myself into Deena Kastor for that to happen. You deserve all the glory for that stellar finish at Bayshore. I knew you'd qualify!

Excellent photos, too. :)

Mir said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm going to try and get in to see a doctor soon. I have a lot of questions and I want to know all the details. I am a numbers junkie even when it comes to hemoglobin levels. :)

I am so happy for you that you had such a fantastic race! I hope those memories never fade. I'm so glad all that hard work paid off for you.