Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Another Successful Weekend

I'm sitting here thinking that I haven't posted in awhile so I should put an update out there but...WHAT?

I don't have much to report. Things are moving along. I'm in the pre-holiday lull before the Christmas - New Year's - Florida - Disney Marathon storm that is gathering and about to descend. Christmas shopping is ongoing. Big gifts are purchased (yes, the Wii is safely tucked away from the kids' eyes). Football is being watched. Scientists around the world are trying to figure out how the Detroit Lions have a 6-3 record at this point. Yes, we all know they'll finish something like 7-9 but don't spoil our fun! I recently upgraded my tube TV to LCD /HDTV and, frankly, can't take my eyes off of it. My eyes are sore by the time I go to bed.

I'm managing to get in 25 mpw still. I'm in quasi-marathon training/nurse muscle soreness mode. In other words, I'm still running but I've cut back about 25% on my original long run goals and slowed down 15-20 seconds on my usual per mile training pace. I may not be in "peak" condition by the time Disney rolls around but I should feel a lot better going in. I feel like my groin, hamstring and calves are almost back to normal. About another week or two of moderate training should find me largely leg soreness-free. I hope.

This past weekend, I completed a 7 miler and 13 miler on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Basically, that is half the distance the Goofy Challenge will present in a little under 9 weeks. I did both at an easy 7:30/mile pace (normally these runs would have been in the 7:10/mile range) and had very little soreness afterwards (the rt. hamstring still barks a little). This is a cutback week. My long run will probably be no more than 10 miles as we are heading out of town for a little R&R. We've had a recent sadness in our house and everyone is looking forward to getting out of Dodge for a few days. More on that later.

The wife and I are addicted to HBO and Showtime TV shows. We don't have a HBO or Showtime subscription but rent the series after they come out. On our rental list is (or has been depending on if the series has ended): The Sopranos, Oz, Weeds, Sex and the City (chick TV, I know), Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, and F/X shows Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck. We are currently finishing The Sopranos final season. We'll miss ole Tony when he's gone.


Happy trails.

2 comments:

Russ said...

Thanks for the comment. I feel too good to stop running. I'm still not sure that I'll run another marathon, as I like the time commitment of the half much better. Though I doubt my Type A'ness will allow me to finish with a 4:59 PR.

We almost had a Wii disclosure last night as son went wandering down to exercise with me in the basement/hiding area..Crisis averted.

Don't let some Mickey Mouse run ruin your Boston Experience. Use it as a relaxing run.

If you like HBO/SHO series, I highly recommend Rome and Dexter. The current season of Dexter is top notch.

Nancy said...

Doesn't HDTV rock?? I love it, stayed up until 2am watching the gays remake some scroungy dude (Queer Eye). The best thing I ever watched in HD was the shuttle launch. You should try to catch it sometime. It's truly amazing.

Good luck with the training.